Select Registry Executive Director Phil Jenkins recently announced Select Registry’s partnership with the Katie Caples Foundation for 2013. Select Registry prides itself on its continued commitment of giving back to the community from individual inns in their local communities to corporate support on a national scale.
David and Susan Caples, owner and innkeepers of Elizabeth Pointe Lodge in Amelia Island, Florida, started the foundation in 1998 after the loss of their daughter. Katie, at only 17 years old, became an organ donor following a tragic automobile accident. Many of us remember that very sad event. The amazing thing is that Katie provided the gift of life to five recipients (age 9 to 62) and enhanced the lives of dozens more because of her decision to register as an organ donor.
“Our partnership with the foundation celebrates Katie’s life and is dedicated to increase awareness of organ donation and opportunities available through transplantation,” said Phil.
Little did David and Susan know (15 years ago) that they would have created one of the most ambitious organ donor education programs in the US – an annual signature fundraising event presented by Mayo Clinic- and be recognized by Donate Life America for their efforts.
How Can You Help?
The Katie Caples Foundation has partnered with Donate Life America and it’s education programs. Visit the Donate Life America website to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor. You can also help by making a monetary donation to the Katie Caples Foundation online or volunteering at a foundation event.
How is Select Registry Helping?
Select Registry is now asking member inns to support the “Katie Ride for Life” event present by Mayo Clinic on Saturday, April 20, 2013. The Katie Ride was started in 2005 to raise awareness about organ donation and support the foundation’s education program.
Phil believes so strongly in the importance of giving back and specifically in the work of the Katie Caples Foundation that he donated a week’s stay at his mountain retreat in Vermont. Other Select Registry member inns are working with the organization directly to donate packages and stays at their inns.
The following inns have donated packages in the past:
- Elizabeth Pointe Lodge (Amelia Island, FL) 2 nights + dinner for two
- Glen-Ella Springs (Clarkesville, GA) Two packages each including a 2 night stay + dinner for 2 at the Glen-Ella Restaurant
- Hamilton Turner Inn (Savannah, GA) 2 night stay
- Port D’Hiver Bed & Breakfast (Melbourne Beach, FL) 2 nights in the Mangrove Suite
- St. Francis Inn (St. Augustine, FL) 2 nights + dinner for 2 at Bistro Leon
- Vendue Inn (Charleston, SC) 2 night stay
- The Greyfield Inn (Cumberland Island, GA) 2 nights + breakfast for 2
- The Greystone Inn (Lake Toxaway, NC) 2 night stay including breakfast and dinner + 2 rounds of golf
- The Swag Country Inn (Waynesville, NC) 2 night stay
Select Registry will provide updates on the event and its success in the future.