- Why You Need to Visit McCarthy’s Wildlife Sanctuary
- 4 of the Best Restaurants near Santa Rosa, CA
- Some of the Best Tour Guides for Snorkeling in Key West
- How to Spend an Afternoon at the Baltimore National Aquarium
- 4 of the Best Annual Events at the Market Square in Pittsburgh
- The Most Interesting Exhibits at the Daytona Museum of Arts and Sciences
- The Best Places for Whale Watching in Northern California
- What Is the Pennsylvania National Fire Museum?
- Some of the Most Scenic Hikes in Washington State
- How to Spend an Afternoon at the Williamsburg Historic District
- 4 of the Best Features of Chimney Rock State Park
- Los Padres National Forest Is One of the Best Places to Explore
- What You’ll See at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- How to Plan a Trip to the St. Augustine Wild Reserve
- Spend a Day at the Daytona International Speedway
- 3 Beautiful Places for Northern Michigan Getaways
- Some of the Best Places to Go Skiing Near Denver, Colorado
- 3 of the Most Romantic Things to Do in New Jersey
- How to Find the Best Shopping in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Your Guide to the Most Romantic Things To Do in Virginia
- Everything You Need to Know About Kittatinny Valley State Park
- Some of the Best Exhibits at the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum
- Why You Need to Visit the Mississippi Petrified Forest
- Select Registry and TripAdvisor Recognize 290 Select Properties
- A Dozen Hidden Travel Gems In Michigan
- The Top 3 Things To Do In Napa Valley If You Don’t Like Wine
- 5 of The Most Romantic Things to Do in Vermont
- Everything You Need To Know About The Chautauqua Institution
- 4 of the Most Beautiful Events at the Sonnenberg Gardens
- 3 Ways To Celebrate The Natchez Tricentennial
- Get Inspired at The Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Vote For Select Registry’s USA TODAY 10Best Nominees
- How to Explore The Beautiful Emlen Physick Estate
- Have a Day of Fun at The Jackson Zoo
- The Best National Parks in the USA to Celebrate 100 Years
- Bed and Breakfast
- British Columbia
- Festivals and Events
- Holiday Lodging
- National Parks
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- Nova Scotia
- Rhode Island
- Road Trips
- Romantic Getaways
- South Carolina
- Things to Do
- Travel and Tourism
- Vacation of a Lifetime
- Vacation Tips
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Monthly Archives: June 2013
Nothing celebrates summer and the birth of this great nation quite as much as an awe-inspiring fireworks display. So why not leave life’s stresses at home and hit the road this Independence Day? We’ve selected a few destinations of the best fireworks in the US.
Nearly every city, town and village in the United States hosts a fireworks display, but some put on performances worthy of traveling hundreds of miles to see. With so many options available, we decided to narrow down the list by choosing a few of our favorites that are near a great Select Registry inn.
Ever wondered what more there might be to the Fourth of July than fireworks and blueberry cobbler? While we love celebrating with pie and pyrotechnics, there are plenty of opportunities to expand July 4th traditions to include something more … traditional. In honor of the holiday, here are some ideas for discovering American history from the comfort of a Select Registry bed and breakfast.
It seems appropriate to start with the town where it all began: Concord, Massachusetts, the site of the opening battle of the American Revolutionary War. While it would be over a year before the Declaration of Independence was signed, the historic town of Concord is home to many an American legend. Paul Revere rode here; Minute Men rushed into battle here; Thoreau, Emerson and Alcott lived and wrote here.
There is no better way to celebrate the start of your life together than with a stress-free, no-hassle stay at one of Maine’s gloriously beautiful bed and breakfasts. The options abound: whether you and your betrothed are looking for urban elegance, a woodland retreat, backwoods getaway, or anything in between – the exquisite properties we offer have a range of perfect possibilities. Select one of the following ready-made honeymoon packages, or browse our packages tab to discover one of many other inns offering romantic getaways that you can tailor-make to your wishes.
At Select Registry, we believe in setting aside time to relax and let go of life’s daily cares. Perhaps this is why we devoted ourselves to providing you with so many delightful choices when it comes to choosing a getaway.
No matter what the season, you shouldn’t need a reason to go on a holiday. And to us, this means going somewhere where you can be catered to and pampered the way you deserve.
In service to our mission to help you enjoy life to its fullest, we decided to help you find an inn in Cape Cod that will allow you to pamper your self and revitalize your spirit.
Peter Sharp, who owns and runs the Fairview Inn in Jackson, MS with his wife Tamar, successfully completed his 1,074 mile cycle ride from Land’s End to John O’Groats in the United Kingdom. Peter reached his goal in 14 days as planned and raised more than $18,000 for the Simon Sharp Eagle Fund in honor of his son who lost his battle with leukemia.
After months of planning, training and other preparations, Peter started his ride in Land’s End on Sunday, May 26. He finished his ride on Saturday, June 8 in John O’Groats and then rode 6 miles back to his lodging for the night at the Castle Arms. For a detailed account of his journey, visit his blog where he posted nearly every day during the ride.
After a fun two days on Amelia Island, the next destination on our Vacation of a Lifetime adventure was the beautiful Hamilton Turner Inn in the historic district of Savannah, Georgia. Our suite was the amazing Noble Jones Suite, which had elegant period furnishings, tall arched doorways and huge 11-foot windows overlooking Lafayette Square.
After some down time, Warren and I headed for dinner at The Olde Pink House, a restaurant recommended by several of our friends.
We walked for about 20 minutes before we realized that we were headed in the wrong direction – but luckily, as hunger loomed, a passing pedicab driver picked us up and took us to the restaurant for a great, and hearty, meal.
My school responsibilities ended for the summer on Tuesday afternoon, and by 8:25 on Wednesday morning, Warren and I were on a plane headed to Amelia Island, FL, and Savannah, GA, for our next Vacation of a Lifetime adventure. After a bumpy flight and a rainy drive to Amelia Island, we were glad to get to Fairbanks House and a warm welcome from Theresa and Bill Hamilton.
Our room, The Kitchen Suite, had a private entrance and porch that overlooked the beautiful gardens in the back. After freshening up, it was time for hors d’oeuvres – our choice of wines, shrimp, and a corn salsa with herbs grown from Theresa’s garden enjoyed with people from different parts of Florida, West Virginia, and Ohio.
In Florida there is always the sense of an eternal summer. This of course, is one of the reasons why we love this State, and always recommend it to those of you looking for an escape that holds you fast in its embrace. And what could be more on the escape route than a unique beachfront Inn that offers all the amenities one could hope for? Here are three of our picks for enjoying a great Atlantic Ocean vacation during the winter months and beyond:
Elizabeth Point Lodge
Finding a romantic hideaway is not always that easy. Often inns look better on paper then they do in real life, with privacy not a feature high on the list. At Select Registry we make very sure that when we recommend a romantic retreat, we really mean it, and we do our due research to make sure you will never be disappointed.
This being said, here are our top picks for a great romantic vacation at some of our top Florida Inns:
Amelia Island Williams House
Amelia Island, Florida
With so many great bed & breakfasts throughout the United States, we at Select Registry were hard pressed to shorten the list of our favorites. These are just a few ideas, with each one bringing the highest level to guests who are looking for luxury, comfort, and the gift of a truly great getaway.
The Inn at Rose Hall
Rose gardens, shady wrap-around patios, period antiques, stained glass, and a courtyard filled with flowers and fountains is what you’ll find at this Eureka Springs, Arkansas bed & breakfast. With unique guestrooms designed for basking in comfort, you will find it hard to bid the sumptuous bedding goodbye once you awaken in the morning.